Sunday, June 17, 2007

Flowering Comfort

Yesterday, I went to Lowe's and bought flowers to plant around the flat stone where the twins are buried. I had a happy thought and got a flat cart and arranged the flowers on it while I shopped - this was great and really helped me to figure out what worked and what didn't. I was worried about the money, as you know, we're in a business start-up with no money out yet, but the Lord took care of that, too. When I got up to the front, the cashier told me that the petunias had been marked down to 10 cents! I got two more of a different variety and spent less than $18 for everything!

Here's what I planted: a yellow Flying Saucers coreopsis, a variegated English ivy with yellow borders, and two Blue Carpet speedwells along the back - they are all perennials. On the left and around counterclockwise are two purple calibrachoa (the purple flowers have yellow centers), two purple "Ride the Wave" trailing petunias, then two purple Ramblin' trailing petunias. It looks wonderful, very old-fashioned.

I felt like it was important to leave it looking like I would like to remember it, since we are seldom down here. When we come back to plant the trees, I'll have to change out the flowers to some that can tolerate shade, but these are just perfect for now.

No comments: