Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Real Encouragement

Tonight in our family devotions, my husband read us the July 19th Morning entry (yes, I know it's the 18th, but we are reading in conjunction with our son who is in Asia this summer and the evening of the 18th is the morning of the 19th for him) of Spurgeon's Morning and Evening. It ministered to me so much that I wanted to share it with you:

“The Lord our God hath shewed us his glory.”
Deuteronomy 5:24
God’s great design in all his works is the manifestation of his own glory. Any aim less than this were unworthy of himself. But how shall the glory of God be manifested to such fallen creatures as we are? Man’s eye is not single, he has ever a side glance towards his own honour, has too high an estimate of his own powers, and so is not qualified to behold the glory of the Lord. It is clear, then, that self must stand out of the way, that there may be room for God to be exalted; and this is the reason why he bringeth his people ofttimes into straits and difficulties, that, being made conscious of their own folly and weakness, they may be fitted to behold the majesty of God when he comes forth to work their deliverance. He whose life is one even and smooth path, will see but little of the glory of the Lord, for he has few occasions of self-emptying, and hence, but little fitness for being filled with the revelation of God. They who navigate little streams and shallow creeks, know but little of the God of tempests; but they who “do business in great waters,” these see his “wonders in the deep.” Among the huge Atlantic-waves of bereavement, poverty, temptation, and reproach, we learn the power of Jehovah, because we feel the littleness of man. Thank God, then, if you have been led by a rough road: it is this which has given you your experience of God’s greatness and lovingkindness. Your troubles have enriched you with a wealth of knowledge to be gained by no other means: your trials have been the cleft of the rock in which Jehovah has set you, as he did his servant Moses, that you might behold his glory as it passed by. Praise God that you have not been left to the darkness and ignorance which continued prosperity might have involved, but that in the great fight of affliction, you have been capacitated for the outshinings of his glory in his wonderful dealings with you.
Charles Spurgeon
Morning and Evening
Morning, July 19th

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Spurgeon 'hit the nail on the head'. I don't know how he condensed this topic into a devotional. My last pregnancy and miscarriage is all about this. Oh, that God will continue to lead me in the "great waters".

It's been 3 years this week since we learned that Jesse had a cystic hygroma on the back of his neck He was just 12 weeks insid the womb.

The 4 - 5 weeks afterward and leading up to his death were intense and powerful and nothing short of God's glory being manifested. And yes, I have gained 'a wealth of knowledge' that I would have in otherwise been without.

I will be posting a series "Jesse Lives With Jesus" on my blog TogetherAtHome.blogspot.com. I invite you to visit.

Anonymous said...

Although this is Romans 5:1-5 speaks more to salvation and pursecution that comes along side with it, this passage gave me great condidence in the Lord and His soverignity.

1Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:

2By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.

3And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience;

4And patience, experience; and experience, hope:

5And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.

This Scripture was read aloud by the Sunday School Teacher the Sunday after I delivered Jesse.

I had endured many trials during this miscarriage (I will share them on my blog) and God had been so close to me that I didn't think it our relationship could get any better and then Stephen read this passage... I knew God had planned this for me as well.

You see, as a Christian I can rejoice during the good times. As a Christian I can rejoice during tribulations.

Tribulations brings about patience.

Patience brings about experience.

Experience brings about hope.

Hope maketh not ashamed.

My hope is this.. I went through a very dark moment...much tribulation. By allowing God to work through my tribulation I had patience to sit back and watch Him work. What an experience to see God working with control when I felt out of control in my circumstance.

Having been through such an experience, I have all hope and confidence, that when I face trials in the future, God will take care of me. And I will tell the world that I am not ashamed that I am not ashamed of the marvelous works of Christ!

Anonymous said...

I was just reading my last comment to this post and I asked myself "Why do you insist on writing early in the morning? I am still sleepy and I make many type-o's." Please forgive me.

By the way, the Jesse series has began.

See you at TogetherAtHome.blogspot.com