Sunday, July 8, 2007

Is there a reason to wait on a D&C?

Around here, the typical scenario is to recommend an immediate D&C if ultrasound shows no heartbeat. (Thank you, Dr. Marzbani for not doing that!). I am very concerned about women rushing to D&C, though, because it leaves no room for errors in ultrasound interpretion, weird uterine structure that hides the baby, a late conception and other reasons an inevitable miscarriage can be misdiagnosed even by a very good doctor.

In searching for more information about that, I found a great site that you ought to visit before you schedule a D&C: The Misdiagnosed Miscarriage Site That way, if you do have a miscarriage, you won't have any regrets. There is a very good forum with lots of helpful information about the different options.

3 comments:

Bonnie said...

Wow, I have never heard of a rushed D&C. When I had my miscarriage it was *weeks* before anyone suggested a D&C. It definitely pays to have a conservative OB.

Melanie said...

It sure does! I know several Christian women in my circle of friends that had a D&C within 24 hours of an ultrasound that indicated a miscarriage. I don't think that's even time to allow the parents to begin the grieving process and make wise decisions.

Elaine said...

I agree!! I switched doctors because of this. My first ultrasound, there was no heartbeat, they couldn't find a yolk sac, no baby--just an empty gestational sac. The ultrasound tech asked me if I had my last period date right. I told her that I ovulate late, so 5 weeks was right on, even though they insist on putting 7 weeks on my chart. I never saw a doctor or even a nurse. After a week of blood tests, I was told over the phone that it was an unviable (spelling??) pregnancy and I had three choices: to wait for the miscarriage, schedule another ultrasound, or schedule the D & C. I found another doctor right away. Even though the pregnancy did end in a horrible, bloody miscarriage, and I did end up having a D & C, it wasn't without more than half a dozen ultrasounds and more blood tests and a caring doctor who walked me through every step. I may have had a similar ending to what the first nurse predicted, but at least it ended with complete assurance that I did everything I could and I knew without a doubt my baby was not alive.